I wonder if this will be the year that stories about AI start to pop up everywhere, a bit like, years ago, everyone suddenly started talking about ‘The information superhighway’ (as it was called back then). I had a lot of fun a couple of months ago supplying Stable Diffusion with text descriptions of the characters in my novels, and being amazed at the pictures it came up with.
Here are my two much-loved protaganists, Jamie the complacent, chauvinistic conflict-avoider:
and Keziah the angry, abused, punk lawyer:
I wonder if I’ll see the day when you can shove in the text of a whole novel and get some AI to make a movie? That would be fun.
Then just the other day my friend Jason Mandryk, one of my senior colleagues on the prayer handbook Operation World, asked ChatGPT ‘How do I pray for Eritrea’ and it replied thus:
- Pray for peace and stability in the country, for an end to conflict and violence, and for the protection of the people from harm
- Pray for the government and leaders of Eritrea, that they will be guided by wisdom and justice, and that they will work for the good of the people.
- Pray for the economic and social well-being of the people of Eritrea, for prosperity and opportunity for all, and for the resources and infrastructure needed for development.
- Pray for the health and welfare of the people of Eritrea, for access to quality medical care, clean water, and nutritious food.
- Pray for the spiritual needs of the people of Eritrea, that they may come to know and follow Jesus, and that the church will be a beacon of hope and love in the country.
These AIs are just mushing together loads of public domain stuff that they have eaten; interesting though.