If you really want to cut short your time with the rest of us here on earth, here’s how — borrowing from two sources, just as we did for the blog on how to live longer.
David Speigenhalter has some research-led findings on what to do if you really want to lop some years off your span. Here’s how different behaviours can get you into the world of the below-average.
- Smoke 14-24 ciggies per day: take off seven years from your expected lifespan.1
- Be obese: take off 2.5 years
- Eat one portion of red meat per day: take off one year
- Every alcoholic drink after the first each day: take off 0.7 years.
- Watch TV for two hours per day: take off 0.7 years.2
The Bible too has a some surprising views on unhealthy lifestyle–though not all of them are things you can do much about:
- Having a wife of dubious character (Proverbs 12:4) (fortunately I’m OK on that score)
- Hope deferred (Proverbs 13:12)
- Envy (Proverbs 14:30)
- A crushed spirit (17:22 and 18:14)